Monday, April 5, 2010

Don't Eat the Hot Dogs

For this blog, I'm doing a bit of pre-writing about "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. I read this book when I was in the 8th grade. Based on my sketchy memories of the story, I'm guessing this book easily relates to Marx. Something to do with the man and the machine keeping the people down. Capitalism being a ploy to keep the poor, poor, and the rich, rich. I remember heaps of people living together in squalor. And the worst memory I have of the story, the scene after the kid has trudged to work, and his ear has frostbite, and it breaks off! Even worse, the floor manager, or some adult, picks the ear up and tossed it in the meat grinder! And people think I'm odd for not eating ground meat.

1 comment:

  1. Leah!
    Your blog entries are always amusing and yet very reflective. I am vegan and had a difficult time reading this text. But, at some point, humans and animals did not differ much in terms of treatment.

    ReplyDelete