Friday, May 7, 2010

Group Therapy

I won't lie, I'm not a big fan of group work, especially not at the college level, and even less so at the graduate level. Therefore, i was none-to-pleased to be forced into a group, with people I've never met, to work on a text I've never read, to present with little to no direction.

In my opinion, our first few meetings did not go well. Part of the problem was that some people had read the text, some had not, some of us had teaching experience and issues letting go of control (that'd be me), and some had little to no teaching experience. Anyway, a few minor spats ensued.

After a bit, things calmed down and we eventually opted for a Jeopardy style presentation. Aside from some minor disagreements as to how the game should be run, overall, the set-up and planning of discussion questions went remarkably smoothly.

Of course, i think we could have used a touch more planning, but over all, i was very happy with our eventually presentation. Oh, and the happy-homemaker costumes were fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment